From 1945 until 1960, she nursed in Hamilton Memorial Hospital, No. Sydney, NS; Swan River Hospital, Swan River, Manitoba; Immaculata Hospital, Westlock, Alberta; Halifax Infirmary, Halifax, NS. In 1960, she was assigned to St. Elizabeth Hospital, No. Sydney where she did supervisory work for two years. Then, because of illness, she was assigned to switchboard duty where she served for fifteen years. After her retirement in 1975, Sister worked in the Business Office at Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse in Halifax.
Sister served as a Home Economics Teacher at Mount Saint Vincent Academy and then St. Anne School in Glace Bay, NS from 1953 to 1954. In 1954 she became a Dietitian Intern and then Staff Dietitian at the Halifax Infirmary until 1959. Except for one year of teaching at Mount Saint Vincent College in 1966-67, Sister served as dietitian at Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse, Halifax, NS; St. Elizabeth Hospital, No. Sydney, NS and the Halifax Infirmary, Halifax, NS from 1959 until her retirement in 1972.
Sister began her teaching career in Quebec and continued in Dorchester, MA before returning to Nova Scotia. Sister taught in schools throughout Nova Scotia for 25 years before becoming a principal. Sister held this position for 19 years before retiring in 1983.
She began her teaching ministry in Roxbury, Mass. where she spent two years. She then went to Hamilton, Bermuda where she ministered for a brief time. This assignment was followed by six years in Quebec, QC. The rest of her teaching career was spent in Nova Scotia with the exception of four years in New Jersey.
Her ministry as an educator began in Bermuda from 1940 to 1946. She then returned to Nova Scotia where she taught in Dartmouth, Eastern Passage, New Aberdeen, Havre Boucher and Glace Bay, a total of 34 years.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 66 years who was missioned in Woodside, Fresh Meadows, Patchogue, Williston Park, Flushing and Richmond, NY; Halifax, Glace Bay, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia; and Bermuda.
Sister Nancy’s teaching career began in Brooklyn, NY from 1954 to 1957. She then returned to Halifax, NS where she continued as an educator and guidance counsellor, spending most of her career at St. Patrick’s High School from 1964 until 1974.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 71 years who was missioned in Halifax and North Sydney, Nova Scotia and Columbia, Maryland. Locally in Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley and Needham.
Sister Irene spent her time in ministry from 1949 to 1979 as an educator, teaching mostly in Nova Scotia with the exception of eight years in Rego Park, New York.
She spent the majority of her life as an educator and from 1936 until 1981 she served in New Waterford, Halifax, New Aberdeen, NS and then was transferred to the west serving in Cranbrook, BC. She not only served as a teacher but spent 15 years as a principal. After 1981, she was engaged in pastoral ministry and as a volunteer visitor to the elderly and the sick. Read more
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 74 years who was missioned in Bellmore, NY, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Ste. Foy, Quebec and Manchester, NH. Locally St. Kevin’s Dorchester, St. Peter’s Dorchester, St. Michael’s North Andover, St. Francis Medford, Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 79 years who was missioned in New Waterford, Jasper, Alberta, Westlock, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Locally in Mt. St. Vincent, Wellesley.
Sister Evelyn was assigned to general duties such as receptionist and office work. Her educational ministry began in 1953 in Dorchester, Mass, followed by North Andover, Mass, Lowell, Mass and then Dartmouth, NS. Later, she was missioned to such places as St. Foy, QC, Amherst, NS, and Halifax, NS. She then opted to become a Library Assistant and Secretary at Mount Saint Vincent University from 1974 until 1985. In that year, she began work in the Renewal Centre at Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse and also served as Purchasing Clerk and then Purchasing Director until her retirement in 1998.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 69 years who was missioned in Brooklyn and Staten Island, NY and New Waterford, Nova Scotia. Locally in Lawrence, Roxbury, Randolph, Dorchester, North Quincy and Wellesley.
Bates, Sister Mary Bernadette Romaine (Gerard Marie) (91) died at Parkstone Enhanced Care on November 25, 2012.
She began her teaching ministry in Quebec City, QC and continued in the education field until 1987. Besides Quebec, she also taught in Glace Bay, North Sydney and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia as well as Lowell, MA.
Besides her 40 years of classroom teaching in Vancouver, Burnaby, BC; New Aberdeen, Reserve, North Sydney and Glace Bay, Nova Scotia; and Dorval, QC – she also conducted workshops and Pilot Programs in Oakland, CA; did research and teaching of the Kodaly Methodology; and worked with Down’s Syndrome children in Co. Kerry, Ireland.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 62 years who was missioned in Rego Park, Bellmore, Canton, Woodside, Jamaica and Wilson Park, New York and Dartmouth and Halifax Nova Scotia. Locally in Mt. St. Vincent, Wellesley.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 75 years who was missioned in Brooklyn, Flushing and Richmond Hill, New York and Bermuda.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 73 years who was missioned in Rego Park, Patchogue and Fresh Meadows, NY, Quebec, Vancouver and BC. Locally in Roxbury, Lawrence and Mt. St. Vincent, Wellesley.
Sister Mary was an educator for 40 years, serving in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Massachusetts and New York.
Sister taught for 46 years beginning in Cape Breton, NS, Halifax, NS, and thirty-four years at Notre Dame High School, Vancouver. She also served as vice principal of St. Mary School, Westlock, AB and principal of St. Helen Elementary School, Burnaby, BC.
Sister taught in Micmac, NS; Dorchester, MA; Patchogue, NY; and Reserve, NS for a total of 21 years. She then moved to her native Quebec in 1970 where she taught at st. Patrick’s High School for the next 10 years.
Sister taught school for eleven years in Halifax and for ten years served as a Medical Record Librarian/Director of Schools for Medical Librarians at the Halifax Infirmary. In 1967, she commenced her role as the Executive Director of Immaculata Hospital, Westlock, Alberta.